While you can easily overstuff yourself during fall with Halloween and Thanksgiving, you can also squeeze in some healthy stuff. Some of these foods are at the peak of ripeness during the autumn months, so take advantage of them. Whip up a cozy meal with some of the fall fare and you’ll enjoy saying goodbye to summer and hello to autumn.
1. Pumpkin – Aside from looking great lit up on your front porch, pumpkins are rich in vitamin A and are a great source of fiber. The vitamin A stimulates white blood cell activity and regulates cell growth and division, while fiber keeps you fuller with fewer calories as well as “moves things along”. You can roast or sautee pumpkin “meat” in olive oil, salt and pepper similar to squash and add to any meal as a vegetable.
2. Apples – Sure, they’re available all year, but they never taste as good as they do in the fall. You can have a wide variety to choose from, so you can have as sweet or sour as your taste buds want. Like pumpkins, they’re high in Fiber and vitamins A and C. You can snack on them as-is (just be sure to wash them first), or enjoy with peanut butter, cheese, or smushed into applesauce.
3. Pomegranate – I had no idea that they were the best in the fall, but I guess you learn something new every day. The pulp surrounding the seeds is high in antioxidants, and is a good source of fiber, potassium and Vitamin C. You can sprinkle the seeds on top of a salad or have a glass of fresh pomegranate juice to beef up your immune system. You can also use the juice in many different dishes, both sweet and savory.
4. Pumpkin Seeds – Yeah, we know we already mentioned pumpkins, but the seeds have a whole different nutritional value than the meat. The seeds are rich in healthy fats and oils, as well as zinc and protein. Bake them on a cookie sheet and you’ll get a crunchy outcome to snack on all day long.
5. Brussel Sprouts – I hated them when I was little, but it’s amazing what a little butter and bacon will do to any meal. They are high in Vitamin C, folate and fiber, and while they are available year round, they’re the most delicious in October.
What other fall foods do you find irresistible?
Like this article? Try Five microbrews with big reputations.